window.location.replace("http://henryhappened.com/?b2w=http://henryhappened.blogspot.com/2011/03/really-fat-tuesday.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

A Really Fat Tuesday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
henry happened: A Really Fat Tuesday

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Really Fat Tuesday


When I worked for A&W and Long John Silver's Fat Tuesday was cause for major office celebrations (people eat a lot of seafood during Lent). Always looking for a reason to enjoy a good meal, this year we carried on the tradition at home.

For our Mardi Gras dinner we feasted on Shrimp and Chicken Etouffee, Toasted Brown Rice, and a fantastic King Cake. The etoufee was my first attempt at making a roux - why do I experiment with this kind of thing with no back up plan??

And, wow, King Cake is really easy & tasty. I wanted to hide Diego inside, but settled for a more manageablely sized baby. We used food coloring (my new favorite baking tool) to create the purple, green and yellow icing. A totally yummy dessert for any occasion - minus the rainbow icing. Step by step instructions are here.

Wyatt was lucky enough to find the baby inside - he gets to host next year! If Mommy had been thinking ahead, I would have hidden two babies so that Caroline could find one too.
Interested in finding out more about Mardi Gras? We were too - and found a picture of our friends Howard & Jena (yes, that's them in the crazy get-ups). Hope they are having fun in the Big Easy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 9, 2011 at 7:20 AM , Anonymous Nikki B said...

I can personally attest to the delicious-ness of the etouffee and rice. Nice job! I've never tried to make roux...always sounds to hard. Thank you for an awesome Mardi Gras dinner!

Thanks also for letting Wyatt be King. Although perhaps that was to ensure we had to host next year??? hmmm......

 
At March 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Stephanie @ henry happened said...

Well, duh, that was all part of my master plan (as long as I can photograph it) :)

Are you rocking your new accessory today? I can't get mine on by myself!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home