mom style | Meet Maria
Meet Maria Schaefer, a full-time working mom who always manages to look chic and pulled together. Since I have no clue how this is done, I asked her to share her shopping secrets. Check out her key wardrobe pieces - some seriously good advice in there!
Major bonus: Henry is so lucky to have inherited some of her little man Carsten's super stylin' hand-me-downs!
Key pieces in your closet:
- A fuschia scarf that I wear year-round; my mom gave it to me because she thought I wore too much black.
- A practical baseball cap for those early morning errands and gym time.
- A selection of ballet flats.
- Different jean styles -- skinny, wideleg, flared, bell bottoms, boyfriend. No mommy jeans and no jeggings.
- H&M basic tees in gray, white and black -- so versatile, especially with the scarf.
- Funky jackets which are my proxy for a sweatshirt.
- A selection of casual and comfy dresses perfect for travel, errands, picnics or a pick-me-up during those "I feel ______ <---- insert adjective: fat/frumpy/crappy" days. They're also perfect for hiding the post-baby bulge.
- And lastly, a wide selection of flip flops.
Final touches to complete your outfit: Anything with color to juice it up. I'm also in love with bracelets, bangles and cuffs lately.
Favorite places to shop: H&M, Piperlime, Forever 21, Benetton, BCBG, Ann Taylor, Loft, NY & Company, Bebe, Banana Republic, and TJ Maxx
What you want to buy now for you and/or Carsten: For me...nothing really. I used to love to shop, but since having a child, I find that I'm always just buying things for him or my hubby whenever I'm out. For Carsten, I'd love to start getting him cute summer clothes but I can't yet because he's so tiny and can still wear his summer clothes from last year. In the meantime, on my list for him are a couple of dock shoes (those cute Sperry's are to die for) and everything madras plaid and nautical striped.