window.location.replace("http://henryhappened.com/?b2w=http://henryhappened.blogspot.com/2011/04/weekend-learning-dyed-tote-bags.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

Weekend Learning - How to Dye a Tote Bag

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
henry happened: Weekend Learning - How to Dye a Tote Bag

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Weekend Learning - How to Dye a Tote Bag

I found this bag creating my spring uniform and loved it. But $198? Ouch! After the success of this DIY effort, I thought for sure I could make this one too!

I bought a 3-pack of white totes for $7 and 2 boxes of dye for $2.25 each. I taped a diagonal line to give me some sight guidance. Then I stood holding the darn bag in the sink for 30 minutes. I like how the color turned out but in my attempt to use bleach to get a straighter line I made it blotchy. (Yes, I know, ironing would help too.)




My learning: I don't know how in the world you could ever get an even line with dye. But a bleach pen would help. I still want to experiment with putting rope around the handle.

Bag #2: I decided to try something more like this and this. (Wish I had seen these sooner.) 
 

I taped a line across the top again for guidance and only dunked for 10 minutes this time since the purple dye was so dark.




My learnings: 
1) Make sure dye is completely dissolved. I got some darker spots as a result. 
2) If you're using the same pot/sink to dye in, make sure you've thoroughly rinsed. You don't want any of the old dye or the bleach used to clean the first batch. Again, spottiness. Arg. 
3) I don't think you need the tape. It creates a rather harsh line at the top. Just eyeball it. 
4) You don't need to keep it in very long - 10 minutes was still too much - since you want a barely there color.

Bag #3: Done with dye, I moved on to paint. This was my inspiration.


My result:

My learning: Pick an apple with an even shape - mine was lopsided. And don't be a goober like me who can't follow a simple pattern. :)

I'm not thrilled with how any of them turned out and will definitely try again now that I've learned a thing or two. But an evening of entertainment for $12? I guess it was worth it.... Anyone need a tote bag? :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home