window.location.replace("http://henryhappened.com/?b2w=http://henryhappened.blogspot.com/2011/03/taken-over-by-toys.html"); -->

This Page

has been moved to new address

Taken Over By Toys

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
henry happened: Taken Over By Toys

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Taken Over By Toys

Among the many things the Gerber family is stressed about (flu, major asphalt face plants, SAHM identity crisis), one that always rears its head (especially as we think of putting the house on the market) is the crazy amount of kid stuff we have.

OMG.

It's like kudzu. It covers everything in sight unless constantly kept in check. Our preschool is about to have a consignment sale, and I'm considering a major streamlining.

I've been inspired by this family found via Little Green Notebook. Look at this playroom! The simplicity, the organization, the cleanliness. Amazing.
A mother of three, Lisa Mahar owns Kid O, a store that sell materials (not toys) for preschoolers, and says this of Toys R Us-type toys: 

"At best they’re pointless. At worst they’re harmful....There’s a lot of manipulation generally used for selling the product. And the images or the characters themselves are simply uninteresting, violent, insignificant, silly. I think it also takes away from children’s creativity in creating characters themselves." 

Her children's rooms inspire me to add more natural materials (like the shells) and living things (like the plants). 
Her entire house makes me feel like I've just taken a yoga class: calm & centered.

Says Lisa, "I’ve actually found if you’re really careful about how you set up a child’s room, to make sure that you give them that absolute best things that really interest them, that they find valuable, they actually do take care of their rooms.

My children do not mess up their rooms and they do put their things away. My two-year olds are little less good at putting things away, my five-year old is exceptional."

What do you think? Is this an unattainable dream? How do you organize your toys? 

16 Comments:

At March 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool idea! I'm uber-organized, so my heart swoons at the pictures of those lovely organized rooms :) Following back from Mommy's Peanut Gallery :)

 
At March 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hiya!

Thanks for stopping by and following my blog -- happily following back!

Love your blog and looking forward to reading more. That playroom is just insane -- wish I was that feng sui and organized!!

 
At March 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM , Blogger Marcy said...

Wow, it seems so empty! Thanks for following me! I'm following back!

:)
Marcy

 
At March 16, 2011 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Jen HaHA said...

I think that playroom is bigger than our living room. And, much cleaner :D We just donated two boxes of toys to Goodwill because my husband was getting tired of all of the toys and stuffed animals. Yay!
Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

 
At March 16, 2011 at 1:42 AM , Blogger A Helicopter Mom said...

It's so nice and clean! I agree with kids needing more creativity and less beeping and plastic.

I'm a new follower from our I Heart Blogging Hop. I'd love it if you'd follow back.

Thanks,
Mickey
www.ahelicoptermom.com
.

 
At March 16, 2011 at 3:13 AM , Blogger -Hynz- said...

Hi. New Follower here from I heart Blogging Hop. I'm so glad I found your blog!! I hope you can stop by and show my blog some Love. Thanks <3

take care,
hynz

 
At March 16, 2011 at 6:52 AM , Anonymous Jen@Mommys Online Garage Sale said...

All of our toys are organized in small totes, toy boxes and barbie cases. My kids are becoming organizational freaks like their mom.

Thanks for joining us for the I ♥ Blogging Hop, I am your newest follower.

HAGW!

 
At March 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Anonymous Nikki B. said...

Stephanie.....
I am going to have an intervention here for you, with the most loving intentions.

THIS LINE IS INSANE:
Says Lisa, "I’ve actually found if you’re really careful about how you set up a child’s room, to make sure that you give them that absolute best things that really interest them, that they find valuable, they actually do take care of their rooms.

My children do not mess up their rooms and they do put their things away. My two-year olds are little less good at putting things away, my five-year old is exceptional."

Yes, that's a fantastic dream. And yes, I believe kids do take BETTER care of things when that it was is expected of them, and will make your home life easier. But I'm not going to be disappointed or feel like I'm not as successful if my kids aren't inspired to pick up their own stuff without some amount of reminding.

Just want us all to have a reasonable "bar" to measure up to here.

Okay, enough of a rant...back to work. Hope my comments aren't too inflammatory.

 
At March 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Nikki's comment the most. When my kids were growing up the living room and dining room (LR and DR are together in a L shape) had to be cleared of toys everyday after playtime. Other than that I hoped for the best with their rooms - but most of the time it was organized chaos. Their favorite 'toys' though were 'outside' and playing with anything 'ceative' whether it was coloring, watercolors, playdough. So Lisa has a point about providing kids with 'materials' so they can create and play. Her home is goregous - I agree with you about the 'yoga feeling' - very calming of course I didn't see any kids either LOL

Thanks for stopping by WynnieBee - I'm here to follow you back : D

 
At March 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Sonja said...

Now following! Would love it if you'd follow back at http://www.toeuropewithkids.com/.
Thanks!

 
At March 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Suzanne said...

I do like how serene that looks. Do children really live there? My house has never looked like that! Found you from the "I Love Blogging" blog hop! I'm now following!

 
At March 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

I'm following from the I <3 blogging hop. Hope you'll follow me back. http://www.cherishedhandmadetreasures.blogspot.com/

 
At March 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger K.M. said...

Lovely post! Hope to see you follow back!
http://kellyhunterphotography.blogspot.com/

 
At March 16, 2011 at 8:33 PM , Blogger Mariah @ FormulaMom.com said...

This is amazing and inspiriring! I'm a new follower from the blog hop and would love it if you'd check out my new blog at http://www.formulamom.com! Have a great day!

 
At March 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM , Blogger lovinangels said...

I don't think anyone actually lives in that house. It's like a magazine.

I kind of like our chaotic-ness. This stage, this bit of life, with the toys and games and little bits and too much everywhere- it's fleeting.

And believe it or not, you miss it when it's gone. I know, because my oldest is 8 years older than the middle. Although that house is beyond cool and I'm crazy jealous of the magazine house lady.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Martha said...

We are past the toy stage at my house, it's video game wires and accessories that are driving me crazy now! The photos of the rooms are wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home